Wednesday 4 October 2023

Norwich - leading lights


Everybody has favourite places. For me, there’s Edinburgh; partly because of its history and partly – mainly - because of the story told by the exposed geology of Holyrood Park, Castle Rock and Calton Hill.  If a certain brewery did geology trails, Edinburgh would be the showcase one.  At the other end of the size scale I have lovely memories of a village called Uley in Gloucestershire, where my great aunt lived and where I rode a horse for the very first time.

Then there's the county of Norfolk on England's East Coast.  My grandmother came from Castle Acre; it's a beautiful village with a ruined castle and the remains of a Cistercian Priory.  My father was twice stationed in Norfolk with the RAF, and I went to boarding school near Norwich when he was posted from Norfolk to Germany.  Add in visits since then to the Broads and to North West Norfolk and the North Norfolk coast and you've got a bucket full of memories.  I've been back to Norwich a number of times with my partner and it's very definitely my favourite English city.

We were walking through the Royal Arcade one day and I took a truly mundane photo as we did. I've cropped that photo since then and it's almost what I would take now if I were trying to take a photo of the lights. I could have done with standing slightly further to my right, which is what I hope I would do now, but I do quite like this as it stands.

#100Photos #29

No comments:

Post a Comment