Friday 13 October 2023

The lamp


A few months ago, I found myself staying in Bristol overnight after a rare face-to-face meeting. 

From what I've seen of Bristol in the two or three short visits I've had there, it's an intriguing city.  I had (and took) the opportunity to look around the Cathedral and my colleagues and I had the bonus of a working visit to a city farm the next morning before we returned to our scattered homes.

For this visit, I stayed in a hotel in the city centre. The reception area was very modern, with an ‘Instagram wall’ that I couldn't resist standing in front of and asking one of my colleagues to take a photo of me.  I don't normally do that!

The room I was in was very different from the Reception area and I loved it from the moment I walked in, but it took me a few seconds to realise that it was really steampunk. The safe and the coffee fixings were in an alcove with wire grill doors. And take this wall lamp - it had a really ancient-looking style of bulb which was exposed by the wire-frame ‘shade’ and an industrial cable duct from its power source. It was artfully bright enough to light the room but not bright enough to hurt your eyes. I'd never seen anything like it!  The room had a really comfy bed as well, which is always a bonus.

#100Photos #31

No comments:

Post a Comment